Monday, May 16, 2011

Workplace Freedom

     Today was a crazy, busy day. I was out the door at 7 a.m., hopped the BART to Berkeley, and attended a regional meeting with 16 of my professional peers. I had a major presentation (which I kicked ass on, by the way) and the day of information and training ended in a wonderful meal at a New Orleans restaurant.
     One of our regional managers was my original supervisor. As we were all at the table laughing and talking, she commented on how many of us had wore a shade of purple (a marketing color of our company). She said she felt out of place because she didn't own anything purple.
     However, I remembered she had on a purle sweater with a white under shirt and reminded her of that first day. One of my coworkers (who I am close to) commented out loud, "If you didn't know he was gay before, you sure do now!'
     For a moment time stood still. I felt myself catch my breath and my heart race. Although my immediate team knows I am gay I have not announced it to the larger regional team.
     In what seemed an eternity, in which the old fear mechanisms of being a closeted gay man in the south kicked in for my self-preservation, I was ready to look around the table and see looks of disbelief and possibly shame.
     As my internal clock once again shifted into actual reality, everyone had continued their conversations, laughing at my co-workers quip and then going back to other conversations.
     There were no shocked visages. No furled brows. No scowls. This group of people did not care that I was gay; they cared I was good at my job.
     In my old life such a proclamation by one of my co-workers would have resulted in immediate uncomfortableness, gossip and possible termination from my job.
     In my new life, me being gay is not a hindrance. It is just a part of who I am. And just like my co-workers that are not impeded by heterosexuality, my homosexuality is not viewed as a trait to be changed, grieved or challenged.
     My supervisor was not only impressed I remembered the color of her outfit, but went on to compliment me on my own attire, knowing I would appreciate the compliment. I settled  back into conversation with my colleagues, thankful I have found comradery and acceptance.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to California sweetie! :-) And we are all so glad you're here.

    ReplyDelete