Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Proud of My Boys!!!

In August 2009, after coming out as a gay men, I joined the Silicon Valley Gay Men's Chorus.

While I type this blog, I am watching/listening to the DVD of our most recent concert, "Boys in the Band". It was an exploration and celebration of the influence of all male groups on music.

As I watch the different numbers, I not only think of all of the blood, sweat and tears we put into this concert, but how dear this group has been to me as I have made my transition as an out gay man.

I think all of us in the gay community need a group to belong to which helps us feel a part of something bigger. Whether it is a choir, a church, a social group, an athletic team or other possibilities, sharing a common purpose and commradery can help us through tough times, introduce us to amazingly happy times and be a place of stability for the in-between times.

Currently, I am not allowed to tell my three daughters anything about my life. All they are allowed to know is I live in California. When this changes (and it will be changing...very soon) one of the first things I can't wait to share with my girls is my involvement with the chorus. My two oldest just had their first vocal/theatrical performance last night. They like to perform...they are chips off the ol' block. And I know when they watch the DVDs of concerts of me with the fellas it will make them happy. They won't care I'm gay...they won't care they are gay...they will love we create great music together.

Here's to my boys: I love you very much. Thank you for helping me keep a song in my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Jason. How you worded your feelings about the choir, is why I joined it. Put song into instrumental words of love, hope, tears, and change. That is how I felt putting together the DVD. I knew I wanted close-ups of us before hand, so I wanted to make the DVD professional and special. I got teary-eyed on a few numbers because not only did we hit great notes, we all there to entertain, sing our hearts out, and open people's minds.

    ReplyDelete