Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Comradery: It Keeps the Gays Going

     Last night I should have just gone to bed early.
     I left choir rehearsal early because I have been fighting a nasty cold. I slept most of yesterday, ran a fever and felt "blech" from head to toe.
     However, it was my friend David's surprise 40th birthday party, so I decided to make an appearance. The rules from his partner were simple: park on a side street, get there early and hide. All went as planned, David had a great time, and I soon left.
     Much to my surprise, my car had been towed. There was not a sign where I parked or any markings but the Campbell police department confirmed my ticket and that my car was impounded.
     My partner, Chris has been really stressed with school, finances and life in general lately. We can finally see a light at the end of the tunnel and my Daewoo gets kidnapped! I didn't want to burden Chris and went in to panic mode: what could I do to solve this myself?
     Four of my dear friends came to the rescue. Two were with me at the police department waiting for a ridiculous amount of time and drove me to the impound lot to retrieve my car and helped me pay my parking ticket. When I couldn't get my car released last night another friend drove me to the tow site this morning and helped me pay the towage fees. Still another friend offered to let me crash at his place for a while, just in case Chris was going to make me sleep in the proverbial doghouse.
     I have been blessed since coming out last year to have a great group of friends. I have also realized the gay community has only flourished to its current degree by gay men supporting one another as friends, family and comrades in life, love and pursuits.
     When I came out, part of my culture shock was how tight knit the gay community was in the Bay area. This larger, vibrant network thrives because the smaller friendship and support groups of individuals have bolstered and nurtured one another to become leaders and visionaries for the greater good.
     In high school, my drama teacher kept a simple poster by the chalk board: "Friends are the croutons in the salad bowl of life."
     To my four croutons that were part of my messy salad last night and this morning: I love you and thank you for the gift of your friendship!

No comments:

Post a Comment